So the Republicans got rolled by Obama (again) and America is sliding down an unrecoverable slope to poverty and despotism? Well maybe! But here are a few more optimistic views:
- Republicans actually won the fiscal cliff stand-off!
Remember, Obama's first offer was for a $1.6 trillion tax hike and an infinite debt limit hike. Boehner countered with $800 billion. The final deal was for only $600 billion.
How is that not a "win" for Republicans?
- Household formation is poised for a jump, leading to a medium-to-strong recovery.
- If the Democrats can't raise taxes on anyone but the rich and near-rich, then the welfare state is doomed.
- Social networks for machines will add trillions to the world economy.
- The great North American energy boom continues!