My Money Blog points to 20 attributes that financially secure people have in common, from a book by Jean Chatzky which I did not get a review copy of!
Here are what Chatzky says are the twenty key elements of those people who improved their situations. You don’t need to have them all, but she says that you need, on average, ten factors to make your way to financial comfort.
- feel stocks are worth the risk
- devote money to savings
- save regularly for emergencies
- invest for retirement
- reduced debt
- want to retire comfortably
- want to be financially comfortable during working years too
- always knew what they wanted to do for a career
- made it a goal to accumulate $1 million
- want to own a home
- are confident
- have a college degree
- socialize with friends at least once a week
- exercise at least 2-3 times a week
- read newspapers regularly
- are married
Except for reading newspapers, I've got them all! I don't see why reading Drudge and newsy blogs wouldn't be as significant, however.